Cleaning your commercial ice machine is as important as cleaning the rest of your workplace. Ice machines are mostly used in the service industry and so, to keep your customers healthy, it is important to clean your ice machine at least 4 times a year.
Cleaning ice machines can be a bit tricky and so, people usually hire professional services for deep cleaning. However, if you want to clean on your own, we will be sharing important tips on how to do that.
Things to Remember Before you Start
- Use the proper cleaning products that should be mentioned on the manual or the manufacturer’s website.
- Follow your manual for the cleaning process, we will define the process too but the manual’s process is the aptest for you.
- Avoid mixing your cleaning products with sanitizers or any other products.
- Wear protective gearing such as a glove, hairnet, and mask while cleaning the ice machine.
How to Clean the Ice Machine
- Make sure that the machine is not connected to any power source and is completely turned off. Ideally, you should wait until the ice melts off the evaporator.
- Now, you should empty the ice bin.
- Once the bin is empty, you should press the button which says ‘clean’ or ‘wash’. As you push this, water will flow through the dump valve into the drain. The machine will tell you once the water is refilled and will ask you to add the chemicals.
- Now, you should add the cleaning chemicals as advised by the manufacturer’s manual.
- The cleaning process usually takes about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Once the process is complete, turn off the machine and take out any removable parts. You should follow the manual for proper removal.
- Now, prepare your cleaning solution by mixing it with water. Your manual might mention the ideal ratio otherwise you can mix 16 ounces of the solution with a gallon of water.
- Start cleaning the parts using half of the mixed solution. Leave the solution on the parts for 5 minutes then brush it down gently.
- Once the parts are clean, rinse them with lukewarm water.
- Use the other half to clean the exterior of the machine following the same process.
- Once the process is complete, rinse the exterior.
It is okay to clean your ice machine yourself. However, at least once a year, you should get a proper cleaning done through a professional. The reason being that they are qualified and trained to clean each spot of an ice machine.
Some employees fail to reach the tough spots and so you do not get a thorough cleaning. LA ICE MACHINE has over 44 years of servicing ice machines. They will clean your ice machine at a low price and will leave you with ultimate satisfaction.